... Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 5 am MST
A Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 5 am MST
* Location... the western mosquito and eastern Sawatch ranges above
11000 feet... Lake County including Leadville and western Chaffee
County above 9000 feet.
* Cause and timing... an upper level storm system will continue to
move across The Rockies through tonight... keeping cold air in
place and producing periods of moderate to heavy snowfall along
the Continental Divide. The heaviest snow is expected through
this afternoon before tapering off this evening.
* Snow accumulation... and additional 2 to 5 inches with the
heaviest amounts across the eastern Sawatch Range.
* Wind... westerly at 15 to 30 mph with some gusts to 45 mph.
* Wind chill... 15 below to 30 below zero.
* Impact... hazardous travel conditions are expected due to a
combination of snow... blowing snow... poor visibilities and
icy... snow covered roads. In addition... extremely cold
temperatures and wind chill values are expected. Exposed skin
can freeze and hypothermia can occur in a matter of minutes.
Dress warmly and carry survival gear that includes blankets.
If you are planning to travel in the advisory area during the
time of the advisory... listen to the latest weather forecast and
consider traveling at another time or by another Route.