Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6 am EST Monday...
Snow...freezing rain and sleet this evening...then freezing rain...light sleet and rain after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Ice accumulation around a trace. Lows around 30. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Rain and freezing rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph... becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6 am EST Monday...
The National Weather Service in New York has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow... sleet... and freezing rain... which is in effect until 6 am EST Monday.
* Locations... coastal southern Connecticut... portions of northeast New Jersey... southern Westchester New York.
* Hazard types... snow... sleet and freezing rain.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation 1-2 inches... locally up to 3 inches. Ice accumulations up to around a tenth of an inch.
* Temperatures... upper 20s to lower 30s.
* Visibilities... occasionally below 1/2 mile in any brief moderate to heavy snow.
* Timing... snow will begin to overspread the area from the south around dark... then transition to sleet and freezing rain overnight. The freezing rain will change to rain Monday morning as temperatures rise above freezing.
* Impacts... icy conditions will result in hazardous travel tonight into Monday morning... especially on bridges... overpasses and untreated roads.
A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow... sleet... or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.
Statement as of 11:18 AM EST on December 08, 2013
... Snow this afternoon... mixing with sleet this evening...
Snow is expected to develop this afternoon from southwest to northeast across the region. While snow may be initially light... it can easily reduce visibilities down to a mile... and with any brief moderate or heavy snow... visibilities will reduce to below a half mile. Some sleet will mix in this evening. Temperatures will be cold enough for snow to accumulate up to a few inches especially on elevated and untreated surfaces.
This will make for slippery conditions on untreated surfaces as well as bridges and overpasses. This along with reduced visibilities will make travel hazardous. If traveling this afternoon or evening and encountering these conditions... drive extra slowly and proceed with extra caution.
Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country:
Custom Weather Services
In addition to this website, we provide a number of free and professional weather services.