... Ice Storm Warning remains in effect from noon Thursday to 6 PM
An Ice Storm Warning is in effect...
For the following counties...
* in Oklahoma... Pushmataha... Choctaw... Sequoyah and Le Flore. In
Arkansas... Crawford... Sebastian and Franklin.
* a classic setup for an ice storm will be taking shape over the
next 24 to 36 hours. An Arctic cold front is making its way
across the region today and will be ushering in much colder air
through the end of the week. This cold air will be undercutting
a strong southwesterly jet aloft... producing lift and one or
more bands of moderate precipitation from southeast Oklahoma up
into west central Arkansas beginning Thursday afternoon and
continuing into Friday. This jet will also maintain a warm layer
aloft which will allow for precipitation to make it to the
ground as liquid Thursday afternoon and night over this region
where surface temperatures will be below freezing. The result
will be significant ice accumulation... which will likely cause
major travel impacts and power disruptions. The precipitation
will eventually change over to sleet and snow by early Friday
from north to south as the cold air gets deep enough by this
* A half inch to isolated 1 inch amounts of ice accumulation is
expected from noon Thursday to 6 PM CST Friday.
* travel will become dangerous or impossible even on treated
surfaces. Tree limbs and power lines will be downed and
widespread power outages are likely. The extended period of
cold weather may become an issue if power outages are lengthy.
* delay travel and stay home if possible until conditions improve.
* Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio... commercial radio or
television for the latest information concerning this weather
event. Additional weather information can also be found at: