Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.
Forecast for Giles
Updated: 4:00 PM EST on December 9, 2013
Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Tuesday...
Cloudy. A slight chance of rain this evening...then rain and freezing rain likely after midnight. Ice accumulation around a trace. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Sleet...snow and freezing rain in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Cooler. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Tuesday...
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow... sleet and freezing rain... which is in effect from midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Tuesday.
* Locations... southwest Virginia and southeast West Virginia... mainly along and west of the Blue Ridge... includes the Roanoke... new... and Greenbrier valleys... as well as the Alleghany Highlands.
* Hazard types... snow. Possibly beginning as sleet or freezing rain.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches... a trace of freezing rain and sleet is possible before the precipitation changes to snow.
* Timing... precipitation will begin late tonight as rain or freezing rain then change to snow Tuesday morning. The snow will end by mid afternoon.
* Impacts... roads and sidewalks may become snow covered and slick.
* Winds... becoming northwest 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* Temperatures... lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s. Little to no rise in temperatures on Tuesday.
A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow... sleet... or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.
Local Storm Report
12/08/2013 1115 PM
Pearisburg, Giles County.
Freezing rain m0.30 inch, reported by NWS employee.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 12:47 PM EST on December 09, 2013
The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 28 hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation is extended to those who provided reports. This summary is also available on our home Page at weather.Gov/Blacksburg
***********************storm total ice***********************
Location storm total time/date comments ice of /inches/ measurement
... Ashe County... 1 ESE West Jefferson 0.20 700 am 12/09 trained spotter
... Caswell County... Yanceyville T 935 am 12/08 thin glaze of ice
... Stokes County... 5 NW Danbury 0.13 223 PM 12/08 Lawsonville King 0.13 700 am 12/09 co-op observer Danbury 0.13 530 am 12/09 Emergency Mngr
... Surry County... Dobson 0.25 905 am 12/09 dept of highways
... Greenbrier County... Clintonville 0.25 401 PM 12/08 trained spotter Smoot 0.25 630 am 12/09 trained spotter 3 N Lewisburg 0.25 700 am 12/09 co-op observer
... Mercer County... Athens 0.25 412 PM 12/08 also an inch of sleet Flat Top 0.25 931 PM 12/08 public Green Valley T 1048 am 12/08 thin glaze of ice Montcalm T 1140 am 12/08 thin glaze of ice
... Monroe County... 4 WNW Union 0.25 900 am 12/09 trees down at knobs 2 E Wolfcreek 0.25 900 am 12/09 Post office 1 SSE Alderson 0.25 900 am 12/09 dept of highways Union 0.10 900 am 12/09 .5 inches of sleet
... Summers County... Talcott 0.38 435 PM 12/08 mixed with sleet Pipestem 0.25 350 PM 12/08 also half inch of sleet
Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country:
Custom Weather Services
In addition to this website, we provide a number of free and professional weather services.