Freezing rain in the evening...then freezing rain and rain after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Ice accumulation of up to a tenth of an inch. Lows in the upper 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Areas of fog in the morning. Rain and freezing rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Not as cool with highs in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds...becoming west around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the mid 30s. West winds around 10 mph in the evening...becoming light and variable.
Rain likely in the morning...then rain likely with a chance of snow in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Cooler with highs in the mid 30s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 9 am EST Monday...
* locations... much of southwest Virginia and southeast West Virginia north of Highway 460... including the Greenbrier... new and Roanoke River valleys... the Alleghany Highlands... Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont.
* Hazard types... light snow and sleet will transition to sleet and freezing rain this afternoon into tonight.
* Accumulations... snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches is expected through Sunday afternoon along the Interstate 64 corridor... with lesser amounts further south. One quarter inch to one half inch of ice is expected through Monday morning.
* Timing... until 9 am Monday
* impacts... ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads and sidewalks will become slippery and hazardous... especially bridges and overpasses.
* Temperatures... from the mid 20s to the lower 30s.
A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts ice... sleet and snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Statement as of 11:34 AM EST on December 08, 2013
... Winter Storm Warning remain in effect this afternoon...
A wintry mixture of freezing rain and sleet will spread north across the region through 4 PM. Ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines and may cause power outages. The highest amounts of ice up to a quarter inch will occur along the Blue Ridge mountains. Significant amounts of ice and sleet will make travel very dangerous.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 1:20 PM EST on December 08, 2013
The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 24 hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation is extended to those who provided reports. This summary is also available on our home Page at weather.Gov/Blacksburg
***********************storm total ice***********************
Location storm total time/date comments ice of /inches/ measurement
... Alleghany County... 3 ENE Glade Valley T 815 am 12/08 thin glaze
... Caswell County... Yanceyville T 935 am 12/08 thin glaze of ice