Winter Storm Warning in effect until 9 am EST Monday...
Rest of Today
Freezing rain and sleet late this morning...then freezing rain this afternoon. Little or no sleet accumulation. Additional ice accumulation of a tenth to one quarter of an inch. Near steady temperature around 30. Southeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Rain and freezing rain. Areas of fog after midnight. Ice accumulation of up to a tenth of an inch. Lows in the lower 30s. Temperature rising into the upper 30s after midnight. Southeast winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Areas of fog in the morning. Rain. Not as cool with highs in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain showers. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.
Rain and snow likely in the morning...then rain likely with a chance of snow in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Cooler. Near steady temperature in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 9 am EST Monday...
* locations... much of southwest Virginia and southeast West Virginia north of Highway 460... including the Greenbrier... new and Roanoke River valleys... the Alleghany Highlands... Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont.
* Hazard types... some light snow is possible this morning... with precipitation transitioning to sleet and freezing rain later today.
* Accumulations... snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches is expected through Sunday afternoon along the Interstate 64 corridor... with lesser amounts further south. One quarter inch to one half inch of ice is expected through Monday morning.
* Timing... 4 am Sunday to 9 am Monday
* impacts... ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads and sidewalks will become slippery and hazardous... especially bridges and overpasses.
* Temperatures... in the lower 30s.
A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts ice... sleet and snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 11:04 am EST on December 08, 2013
The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 1 hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation is extended to those who provided reports. This summary is also available on our home Page at weather.Gov/Blacksburg
********************storm total snowfall********************
Location storm total time/date comments snowfall of /inches/ measurement
... Botetourt County... Fincastle 0.1 1034 am 12/08 with a glaze of ice
... Giles County... Pearisburg T 1017 am 12/08 mixed precip past hour
... Montgomery County... MC Coy 0.1 1020 am 12/08 glaze of ice
... Greenbrier County... Lewisburg 0.1 1053 am 12/08 coating of sleet
... Mercer County... Princeton 0.1 1048 am 12/08 heavy sleet Athens T 1051 am 12/08 with glaze of ice
***********************storm total ice***********************
Location storm total time/date comments ice of /inches/ measurement
... City of Lynchburg... Lynchburg 0.10 1027 am 12/08 glaze of ice on cars
... Floyd County... Copper Hill 0.10 1040 am 12/08 glaze of ice
... Mercer County... Green Valley T 1048 am 12/08 thin glaze of ice
Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country:
Custom Weather Services
In addition to this website, we provide a number of free and professional weather services.