... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Saturday night through
late Sunday night...
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Winter
Storm Watch... which is in effect from 4:00 am Sunday through
4:00 am Monday.
* Locations... all of southwestern Virginia including
Roanoke... Lynchburg and Danville. Southeast West
Virginia... including Lewisburg and Bluefield. Northwest North
Carolina... including the surrounding areas of Boone... Mount
Airy and Reidsville.
* Hazard types... freezing rain. Some snow or sleet likely at the
* Accumulations... snow or sleet accumulation of up to 1 inch.
Upwards of 3 inches of snow in the Virginia and West Virginia
Highlands north of Roanoke. A quarter of an inch of ice
accumulation is expected areawide... with up to a half inch of
ice accumulating along the Blue Ridge.
* Timing... after midnight Saturday night in the North Carolina
high country... spreading north into Virginia and West Virginia
by daybreak Sunday. The precipitation will then continue through
Sunday and Sunday night.
* Impacts... ice will likely accumulate on trees and powerlines
causing power outages. Roads may also become slick and
hazardous... especially north of Roanoke where temperatures will
be colder and more snow and sleet will occur.
* Winds... east 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.
* Temperatures... in the upper 20s to lower 30s.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.