Strong southwesterly winds are expected today as deep low pressure passes across the mid Atlantic this afternoon. The southwesterly flow will cause afternoon temperatures to range from the mid 60s to the lower 70s... and drive relative humidity values to near 20 to 30 percent for several hours during the afternoon. Wind speeds during the afternoon will range from 15 mph to 20 mph... with gusts as high as 30 mph for much of the area... possibly reaching 40 mph across the higher ridges. The combination of dry fuels... low relative humidity and gusty winds will heighten fire danger today.
Please advise the appropriate officials and fire crews in the field of this Fire Danger Statement.
Additional fire weather information is available on our web site at http://www.Weather.Gov/rnk
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 11:55 AM EDT on March 31, 2015
... Red flag warning in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening for wind and low relative humidity for the New River Valley... Mountain Empire... and southeast West Virginia...
The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a red flag warning for wind and low relative humidity... which is in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening.
* Affected area counties in Virginia... Tazewell... Smyth... Bland... Giles... Wythe... Pulaski... Montgomery and Floyd. In West Virginia... Mercer... Summers... Monroe... and Greenbrier.
* Winds... west 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Timing... until 8 PM today.
* Relative humidity... as low as 20 percent.
* Temperatures... in the 60s.
* Impacts... the combination of gusty winds... low relative humidity and low fuel moisture will enhance the threat for the spread of wildfires through sunset.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now... or will shortly. A combination of strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures will create large fire growth potential.
Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country:
Custom Weather Services
In addition to this website, we provide a number of free and professional weather services.