Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.
Forecast for Greater Reno-Carson City-Minden Area
Updated: 1:54 PM PDT on July 30, 2014
Flash Flood Watch in effect until 10 PM PDT this evening...
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms with locally heavy rainfall in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows 61 to 71. Northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light.
Sunny in the morning...then partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs 88 to 93. Light winds.
... Flash Flood Watch in effect until 10 PM PDT this evening...
The National Weather Service in Reno has expanded the
* Flash Flood Watch to include a portion of western Nevada... including the following area... greater Reno-Carson City-Minden area.
* Until 10 PM PDT this evening
* abundant moisture along with light winds aloft and an upper level disturbance will combine to produce slow moving thunderstorms with heavy rain. The areas at greatest risk for flash flooding include small streams and creeks and recent burn scars such as the Bison fire.
* Heavy rain may also lead to rock and mud slides near steep terrain and could impact travel on area roads and highways.
A Flash Flood Watch means that flooding of small streams... creeks and other drainage areas is possible within the watch area. People in the watch area should monitor weather.Gov/Reno for updates and be prepared for immediate action should heavy rains and flooding occur or a Flash Flood Warning be issued.
Special Weather Statement
Statement as of 1:32 PM PDT on July 30, 2014
... Strong thunderstorm moving near Washoe City through 215 PM...
At 124 PM PDT... National Weather Service meteorologists were tracking a strong thunderstorm near New Washoe City... or 4 miles west of Virginia City... and moving southwest at 5 mph.
Occasional lightning... heavy rain with amounts near one inch per hour... small pea size hail... and strong gusty winds to 55 mph... will occur with this storm.
* Locations affected through 215 PM PDT include... Lakeview... New Washoe City... Washoe City... Pleasant Valley and Galena.
Heavy rainfall is occurring with this storm. Expect ponding of water on roadways. In areas of steep terrain... minor rock slides are possible. Drivers should slow down and turn on their headlights if encountering heavy rains.
Gusty outflow winds are also possible ahead of the storm which could cause severe Crosswinds on Interstate 580 and old Highway 395 through Washoe Valley and Pleasant Valley.