... High surf advisory remains in effect until 4 am EST Sunday... ... Rip current risk remains in effect through late tonight...
* waves and surf... seas will increase to 7 to 9 feet near shore and 10 to 15 feet offshore.
* Timing... through early Sunday morning.
* Impacts... rough surf along with large breaking waves and a high risk of rip currents are expected along area beaches.
A high surf advisory is issued when dangerous water action is expected along the coast. This includes rough surf... large breaking waves... rip currents... and strong undertow.
Beach goers are urged to heed lifeguard warnings.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a strong swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
Lake Wind Advisory
Statement as of 5:08 AM EDT on November 01, 2014
... Lake Wind Advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
* timing... 8 am to 8 PM EDT on Saturday.
* Winds... northwest winds 15 to 25 mph with frequent gusts up to 35 mph.
* Impacts... hazardous boating conditions will develop on area lakes as winds increase across the region.
A lake Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds are forecast to be 20 to 29 mph with frequent gusts to near or above gale force for at least 3 hours. Winds of these magnitudes will create rough conditions on larger area lakes which could produce damage to... or flip... small pleasure craft.
Outdoor enthusiasts may wish to postpone lake related activities until conditions improve.
Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country:
Custom Weather Services
In addition to this website, we provide a number of free and professional weather services.